Friday, December 19, 2008

He's home again!

Well, we finally made it home today about 6:45pm. We knew early in the day that he'd be going home but had to wait for the Dr to change his wound vac and for the portable wound vac to arrive. Changing this thing will be an ordeal for a while (like months) as there are foam sponges inside his thigh. The theory is that the sponges soak up the fluid which develop and collect in the space left by the tumor and the wound vac sucks them gently out. The wound itself is not closed by stitches and the sponge/vac allows it to heal from the inside out. Translate, big scar. There is also some evidence that it helps the lymphatic system recover from radiation/surgery faster. Unfortunately, this is not a speedy process and what progress there is will be slowed by chemo beginning again on the 29th. We will have a home heath nurse until I feel I can do it, which is basically now. I will be nervous but I'll manage. Due to the platelets and lack of coumadin before surgery we are back to twice daily shots to thin his blood, urgh!

We don't have Doctor's appointments until Monday, I'm so ready to stay home! Larry's ready to sleep in his own bed and not have someone wake him for vitals at some outrageous hour! Nearly ready for Santa's big day here, it will prove to be a good one!

No matter how often I re-read these things as soon as I post it I find something wrong, be patient!

No comments: