Monday, August 31, 2009

Hospice

Well, I called Larry's oncologist today and got him to goad the folks at the VA to contact Hospice. Two hours later, the intake nurse was at our house! Larry finally got out of bed about 4pm stayed up maybe 30 minutes and is back in again. He hardly ate anything today and is having trouble walking down the hall from the bedroom to the living room. Think we will have to use the wheelchair soon. Still not taking pain meds, says he doesn't want to be a zombie. That is his choice to make. There is a nurse on call 24/7 so I feel better as I have someone to call. There will be a nurse come a couple of times a week and also a home helper to give him a bath etc. I suppose I will begin to have better input once they really get started. I knows it just feels comforting to have someone to ask and not have to wonder if I should haul him to the hospital. The worst parts of this are the not knowing and the not being able to DO anything to help him feel better. Rob and I are going to remove and rearrange some furniture in our room so I can put an easy chair in for his company. I just keep shuffling someday perhaps I'll be finished--nah! Not in this house anyway.

No comments: