Monday, August 24, 2009

Report on Doctor's visit

Okay, we're home from the VA, finally, and I've had some lunch so I can tell everyone what's up. The news was exactly what Larry and I expected to hear-he has months, very few months. We saw the CT pictures and his liver literally does look like swiss cheese and the spots in his lungs are larger. Dr Allen found his liver larger than he expected on exam. The Radiology report is still not in nor is the biopsy report. Dr Allen said he doubted he'd have done a biopsy as he is 99% sure it is a sarcoma progression. The docs last week kept saying that a sarcoma wouldn't grow this fast but it can and did in Larry's leg so it can and did in his liver. Chemo is an option but it most likely won't help and could possible have such an impact on his immune system that it could shorten the time yet more or just make the time miserable. Unless the biopsy report comes back as something else we will be talking to hospice in the next few days. The end game is that his liver will fail and he will become unconsious and slip away. I'm not really phrasing this very well and I'm sorry but I can't think of anything better, Dr Allen was honest and I will be as well. I am still not at a point where I can talk about it much but I'll get there and will continue to focus on the next thing while we try to enjoy what time he has left. On that note Dr Allen said he could have all the ice cream he wants!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gail,
We will keep you both in our prayers!!!!! Dont give up, God still has miracles!!!!!!

Debbie and Tim