Friday, October 23, 2009

Kelsey


This is one of my Sheltland Sheepdogs, Kelsey. She has given me a scare a couple of times in the last two weeks. She has had trouble with her back legs, causing her to be unable to stand or walk. The last one was last night, it was obvious that she couldn't feel her foot at all, she could move it but placed it too close to the other foot so she was off balance. I really thought she had had a stroke. I was terrified that she would die overnight so I let her sleep in my room. (I never do this) This morning when Charley woofed to go out she got up off her pillow and walked out like nothing had ever been wrong! I decided that for my peace of mind she was headed for the Vet. Turns out she has a small bone spur in her back causing irritation and pinched nerves, she gets anti-inflams for a few days. She also gets limited running and no full flights of stairs--too hard on her back. As both she and Charley are 12 years old I was sure it was going to be time to put her down but thankfully no. I don't think I can take anyone else dying this year.

2 comments:

a good yarn said...

She is such a beautiful dog. It sounds as those the condition is manageable through medication and a change of lifestyle. I hope everything goes well. Ann :)

Karen said...

Poor Kelsey! Get well soon.