Sunday, June 20, 2010

West Coast Vacation-Day Twenty-one

I left Billings rested (yehaw!) and full of the Uncle's favorite! Got off Interstate 90 at Crow Agency, MT and the Little Bighorn National Monument. I have to say that all the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I got to the entrance and the whole time I was there it felt like every hair on my body was standing! I've only felt this way one other time, at Ft Smith beside the hanging judge's execution stand. Apparently I have allowed my ESP to develop at least far enough to feel the strong emotions left by those dying in terror-or old souls. I even had trouble breathing, finally had to leave. It is beautiful and the signage,etc is nicely divided between Custer's troops and the Cheyene and Lacota Sioux. That's nice to see usually the victor tells the history and while first nations won this battle they lost the war, so.

I then drove The Warrior Trail, Highway 212, through the rest of Montana, a corner of Wyoming and into South Dakota. Three Days in Montana, three states in one day! This is not a designated "Scenic route" but it sure is--I wonder if there is a road in Montana that isn't scenic?

It occured to me as I drove along that the word "Hill" can be used to describe any geological formation from a flat topped butte, to a gently rolling mound. Some are pointed, some are rocky, some have flat tops, some have outcroppings, some are smooth, some are tree covered, some are covered by grass or sage. I saw them all. Today there were prong-horned antelope, cattle and sheep, no one decided to take a walk in front of my truck today--that was good.

Arrived in Rapid City about 4pm after being caught in a hard rain that included hail. Will have to check for damage to the clear coat when I get home. I think it was pea-sized but it sounded HUGE inside the cab!

Now I rest for tomorrow's journey includes another battlefield!

No comments: