Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day-the official end to summer

Labor Day weekend.  When I was a child it was the sign that school was about to start, my birthday was near and the hot weather would go away!  Now the school children have been back two weeks (or so) but my birthday is still near and the not weather should be done for and replaced by cooler days and nights plus the colors of fall.  My favorite time of the year.  Things are winding down out in the garden, which just means that I have them tidied up and the fence rows cleaner.  Soon I will need to bring in the few potted plants I intend to over-winter in the house (only 5 total and 2 are already in.)  I have only the touch up painting to finish, clean out the shed and a bit more clean up for now.  November 1st we'll drag out "Hank", the snow thrower, shovel and ice melt then we'll be ready for whatever the Missouri winter hands us.  My new gardens in front are looking pretty good, I'm hoping I don't lose anything over the winter but usually I lose plants to the heat so-o-o.

Scott and Bri were here for Saturday and Sunday, I cooked a turkey I'd had in the freezer for a while on the grill (it was cut in half)  so Beth and Lucas joined us and we all ate together.  Turkey, grilled corn on the cob, jello salad and quinoa salad.  Totally gluten free.  We all went out for drinks at Sidepockets, played a little pool, goofed around, came back and did some more (well, no pool as I haven't a table).  Much laughter!  Sunday we took the boys along and went to Santa-Cali-Gon, we pushed our way through the craft tents, bought Hawaiian ices, lemonade, kettle corn, string potatoes and funnel cake as well as the homemade rootbeer/cream soda we all love.  We saved the bottles from last year just so we could get a refill!  We had Kolby in the backpack as strollers are just hard with the crowds, when it was my turn he just couldn't stay awake so he crashed on my back.  He's a little big, I'm a little short or the pack is badly designed but the poor guy just couldn't find a good spot for his head!  So we headed home after that.  Scott and Bri headed back to Columbia after loading the gas grill I'd been saving in the shed for 3 years!  I visited with my Baylor roomie (HI Gloria!) then I went back up.  The crowds had lightened up and I bought some Christmas gifts--I like giving things that are a bit unusual and the craft tents are nice.

I have decided to eat a gluten-free diet.  I have been reading up on autoimmune diseases and the first recommendation for treatment is nearly always to go gluten free.  It sounded hard but it's been okay so far, I'll need to learn to cook in a different way and cross-contamination is an issue but I'll figure it out--I love a challenge!  It may take as long as 6 months for all the gluten in my system to leave but the long term heath improvement will be worth it.  I have lost 4 pounds already, too.  I'll give updates!

Only 25 days until I leave for Ireland!  Can't believe it's that close,  I am nearly ready and very excited!

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

That sounds like a wonderful weekend Gail. Going gluten free certainly won't do you any harm. I've significantly reduced the amount of sugar I consume with good results. Just over 3 weeks to Ireland? Gosh the time is whizzing past. I mlike your thinking on Christmas gifts. Cheers, Ann :-)