Saturday, November 20, 2010

Getting ready for Turkey day!

Wow, the time has just flown this past week!  I've been cleaning like a crazy person getting the house in order from the construction-there was just dust and dirt everywhere!  Plus the tiny tornados, Brayden and Kolby have been here in the morning all week.  On Tuesday they have their annual photo shoot and they asked me to come along and take the boys while they choose and had printed their photos.  That worked out really well, about the time the boys were getting "antsy" I just took them home to play.  Their daycare has an epidemic of the stomach flu going around so Beth wanted to keep them out (the last time Kolby brought home the stomach flu he passed it around to the entire family--and I do mean the ENTIRE family--that event is still quite well remembered and NO one wants a repeat!  She is working from home but in order for her to have peace to work I've had the boys each morning-until lunch and nap time.  When she called daycare they said 5 children out in Brayden's class alone, so far neither boy has come down with it and I think we're going to do the same thing Monday and Tuesday. They were coming on Wednesday anyway as daycare is closed.  One day we raked leaves and played in them, one day we went to the park and one day we went shopping.  I'd repeat any part of that EXCEPT the shopping!  The house is mostly clean and what didn't get done isn't critical or it will be done by Thursday, I have the bird in the frig downstairs and most of the rest of the goodies in house.  I still need to make a trip to Costco and a little run to the grocery store for last minute stuff. I plan to mow leaves, pick up the china etc from my Dad's and wash some windows tomorrow as it is to be in the 60's.   Then I'll be pretty much set except for the actual cooking which I'll start on Wednesday--guess I'll see how much help the boys can be!

I have actually been doing some sewing this week.  I covered a double thickness of 1 inch rigid insulation with quilt batting and fabric to make a "plug" for the fireplace in the basement.  We have never had a fire in it as it doesn't have either glass doors or the heat vents out the front so all the hot air goes up the chimney as does the heat from the house.  I didn't feel any air seeping in around the edges, here's hoping the basement is just a bit warmer!  I've sewn all the panels together for my dust ruffle,  seems to be miles of the stuff!  Have to get the iron out and press before going any further.  My sewing room is a disaster though so major cleanup has to be done before I have space to do much.  I think I dumped everything in there that I had no idea what to do with, sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail,

Nothing like the holidays to get things done. My mom jokes that its the only time of year she wants to clean.

I have been going back and reading your Ireland trip posts. I love them, as you do such a wonderful job describing what saw and what you did.

blessings,
jilly