Sunday, January 16, 2011

Of Bread, Pictures, Pillows and Words

I've decided to work my way through this book of bread recipes! I'm made some of them in the past but I'll be making them again. The White Mountain Bread is really very good, takes less time and only makes two loaves. That's comparing it to my Granna's Sponge Bread.



So with that goal in mind I wrote off a list of things not found in my pantry and went off to Nature's Pantry to purchase the items not found at my Price Chopper! Came home with these:

Need to find jars for all of it, that could be tricky as I think they are in the shed and I've no wish to root about in  there when the temperature is below freezing!  Besides, I have to find room in the cabinets for the jars as well. Wish me luck! I'll show you the finished loaves, but not the recipes as it's a published cookbook and I respect the author's hard work and their copyright .

For over a year now I've been trying to organize my photographs. I have like 40 years of them! These are the boxes for the 1990's, a very busy time in my life, I found more photos for these boxes looking for the sheets I'd made up of the happenings of each year along with things like how old each kid was, what grade they were in etc. Judging from the stack of newly retreived photos I'll need another box! Good thing I bought extra. I make myself sort these for 15 minutes a day, hoping to finish this year. Although that may be a stretch as I want to scan them to the computer as well. Then it's decide whether to scrapbook them or just leave them as is with info on the back.
I did finish the boy's pillows made from the scraps of their Travel Memory Quilts. I think they will like them, especially in their fort!

I've been reading a book Beth recommended called Accept No Mediocre Life: Living Beyond Labels, Libels and Limitations by David Foster. (I'd show you a picture but it's on my Kindle!) I struggled with the first two chapters as I found it difficult to isolate the point in all the preaching. All I took away from those chapters was the total fear that I had damaged my children by labeling, libeling or limiting them, sorry kids. The Third chapter seems to be improving. Anyway, the title made me think of the meaning of the word mediocre (well several words actually but for today I'll stick to that one.) The Webster's New World Dictionary (which is not at all NEW at this point really must buy a newer edition) defines Mediocre as: of middle quality; neither very good nor very bad; ordinary; commonplace; average. I think I'd like to be defined by a better word! I'm going to think on that word this week, if I have anything worth sharing I'll let you know. Next week I'll think on another word, that I will share. The other thing I've found in the book are several quotes from all sorts of people that I think are thought provoking, I've been "collecting" quotes for some time so I think I'll share some of them as well. Today's quote comes from Helen Keller "I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty and joy to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble." I know what she means.

No comments: