Monday, September 5, 2011

Holiday Weekends!

Hope all those in the US are enjoying the Labor Day Holiday!  I've had a terrific weekend, so far.  Saturday Scott, Bri and Coco (their adorable little dog) came up from Columbia to visit.  We generally all gather to attend my town's annual street festival, Santa-Cali-Gon (so named because Independence was once the "jumping off" point for the long overland trips to Santa Fe, NM; Oregon and California.) Mostly we go to eat funnel cakes, corn dogs, walking tacos and other "junk food" and to buy homemade Cream Soda or Root Beer.  (We all save our bottles from year to year and they re-fill them for us.)

Then we walk through the craft tents.  It was pretty exciting on Saturday as a big thunder storm hit right over the top of us and the tent we were in began swaying and things started falling off displays etc.  Bri managed to get outside and the rest of us headed that way but by the time we got to the doorway it had let up some.  Started up again though and was surely in danger of falling down except some really intelligent person shouted that we should grab onto the poles and hold them up!  One of the other  tents did fall in so thank you intelligent person!  As soon as it let up we made a run for the cars and headed home!

One great thing about the storm, it brought a cold front with it!  After the high 90's of last week, today's 71 is delightful!

Sunday morning Beth and her boys joined us for a biscuits and gravy brunch (apparently their favorite breakfast-or maybe they just don't get it very often?)  Then we split up.  Rob, Tanya, Beth, Brayden and Kolby along with Rob's friend Das met up with other friends Thomas and Heather at the Carnival part of Santa-Cali-Gon while Bri and I headed to the Flea Mart.  I scored a really cute sewing box (always wanted one) I plan to put my cross-stitch in it for now, hum it would work well for hexi-gons too.  I wanted to attend a memorial service for a lovely lady I knew from my historical work here at 2:30 and I did.  While Scott and Bri took Coco back to Columbia and demo'd their current project, their den.  Later I met up with the others to walk through the tents again and eat more "junk food"-- Didn't buy too much there this year just a snowman for Tanya and a long magnet to hold up the calendar on the frig.

When I woke up this morning, after sleeping with the windows open, it was 54 degrees!  A beautiful clear day, with a lovely blue bowl of a sky.  I mowed the lawn this morning and I found a hint of things to come.
Already the hills in back are getting slippery, rolling on these as I walk and I hear them hitting the trailer all the time!

A short kitchen update:  The shelves arrived on Friday, the doors and drawer fronts on Saturday.  I already have primer on one side of 5 doors (that's all I can fit on my 6 foot table).   Everything is here now except the counter tops (bench tops) which won't be in until the 13th.  I bought the old windows for the wall decor on Friday and Rob installed the second fan on Saturday.  I still hope to be 90 percent finished when I go to San Diego next month, won't be finished until I get back as I'm bringing home IKEA stuff for in there.

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Love a good fair and funnel cakes (not what I expected they would be after checking Google) would certainly suit me! Glad you all had such nice time! Ann :-)