Monday, November 4, 2013

Miniature Monday!

Don't look for this to be a regular feature, I think the doll house will be another Work in Slow Progress!  Just like me.

This doll house was made for Beth by my Father and Brother Christmas 1986, she was 7.  I had found the plans in a magazine, back in the 80's magazines would have many possible gifts to make and this doll house was one.  I took it to home builder Dad (really, my Dad and Brothers where big home builders, not just miniature ones!) who bought only the big casters on the base.  Everything else was scraps in the shop.  My youngest brother, Bobby, used some veneer he had left from another project for the shingles!  I looked and looked for a photo of it brand new-I only found three really bad ones, maybe I'll run onto another one.  My Mom ordered a kit to make furniture and worked to get it all made up for Christmas as well.  Beth loved it!  She played and played with the house and the furniture-she added tables from pizza boxes and poker chip plates, lots of imagination used playing with it.  Most of the furniture was broken along the way but what is left will get a makeover and put back into the house.
Now it's pretty sad looking, and Beth has only boys (no interest in doll houses there), so it has come to live at my house.  At some point I may take it to Nora, or not.

So a before photo:
From the front

The Rooms


The shingles.

I've begun removing the shingles which are either stapled on (easy) or glued on (hard) in strips.  I'm going to try and salvage as much as I can for flooring etc.  I've also taken off the pillars as they need replaced.  Once the roof is clean and the rest of the house gets a good cleaning as well I'll get started on the redo, first up electrification!


1 comment:

a good yarn said...

How marvellous! I love the story of this piece - all the time taken to make something special for a gorgeous little girl who, in turn, spent many happy hours in play.