Sunday, July 23, 2017

Another one begins!


This one is for Kolby who loves bright greens!
It seems BIG after the last one!
2.5 inch squares this time.


I fixed this board covered with batting to lay out the blocks for a Trip Around the World.
I know people do the strip set and cut them apart but I can never get the strip set sewn evenly.
I prefer to cut the squares and sew them together.
It does make for a LOT of cutting before beginning.
I've finished the first row on my homemade chart and begun the second, being extra careful of all those corners meeting!
 I'm stitching the blocks together as 
each one is finished, otherwise I'd have them all in a jumble.

It seems like all I do is sew at the moment-oh well, I am working setting up the
new studio a bit each day and pulling up nasty carpet a bit each day.
It's too hot to do much of anything and even though I miss it 
I am glad I do not have gardens at this house!

Friday, July 21, 2017

Finishes!


First, I finished sewing down the binding on Suzie's Sparkling Nines!
The color was better in the next picture, guess the sun washed it out!


Above was a closeup of the front and here's the back!


I got creative and used up all the blocks I had left over, save one which I made into a mug rug.
Don't know how I managed but I got the nine patches on the back lined up with the ones on the front and the quilting was where it should be!


 Closeup of the center back.
Used up quite a bit of the stash on this one.

The next one is cut and I started on it tonight, perhaps I'll show that tomorrow!

The second finish is the painting in the basement!
WHO HOO!
Should anyone be considering this I highly recommend having it sprayed!
My shoulders, wrist and hand have been very sore.

Quinn is trying to stay cool-as am I and it isn't easy!
Her best friend, Zoe, has come for a couple of weeks while her family is on vacation.
Usually, Zoe is a nervous wreak when they leave her but this time she's been very, very calm!
Hoping it stays that way!



Saturday, July 15, 2017

They Paint Too!

Left to right:  Brayden, Kolby and Ethan

I told you about my oh so cute mowing crew, 
well, did you know they also paint?
(Kolby thought we were painting pictures-he was shocked that we were painting walls!)
They are just getting started but they painted the whole wall they are working on here, plus another short wall on Thursday.  
Before we ran out of paint!
Then a short wall plus on Friday-they were tired.
I know how they feel.
They all used a roller as well as a brush, even Ethan!
Paint got on the floor.
So what!
I'll be painting the cement floor later anyway.
During one of their breaks Brayden asked what the I-beam was.
I told him it held up the weight of the house.
So, he wanted to know if it was okay to swing from it!
I asked if he thought his weight would bring the house down on us!
Little monkeys played at hanging from it for a bit, 
then went back to paint.

Their Daddy said I had more patience than him-I just knew they needed
something to do while at my house and paint on the wall is paint on the wall no matter how it gets there!
I'm putting the second coat on now.
Will need to more paint yet.
That masonry just slurps it up.
First step of new studio will be done this week.
Then it's on to painting the floor (after first etching and priming it.)

I'm also bringing empty totes and holiday boxes up to the garage.
Don't want to move things around more than necessary!

I'm off now to sew the binding on Sparkling Nines-it's really quite hot to have a quilt on your lap!



Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A Brilliant Idea--NOT!

I've been in this house now for about seven months.
I've mostly found everything, mostly.
I've hauled away a lot of "Stuff" as donations.
(More to come-I have a goal of reducing my "Stuff" by 50%.)
I've figured out that in spite of a wonderful walk-in closet my studio 
just doesn't work.
Plus, I really miss having a dedicated office space.
Having all the flotsam and jetsam of life 
plus all the research stuff scattered about the house
leaves me scattered as well.
So.
I have an unfinished basement
of about 800 square feet.
Moving the studio into that space and the office into the current studio is underway.
First, I need to make the basement more habitable without spending 
a small fortune!
Paint is always the go to for me so I decided to paint the walls and the ceiling.
Complete with pipes, wires and HVAC vents.
Yeah, well, NO!
I spent several hours priming pipes, vents, etc so they would hold paint on Sunday.
Yesterday, I spent most of the day painting this!
Not even a quarter of the ceiling done.


That's as far as I got before my shoulder (and other body parts) just gave up.
Apparently, in my 6th decade I cannot do what I did in my 3rd decade!
I knew that.
Sort of.
I forget though.
New plan for the ceiling is needed.
I have an idea but I want to see if its possible first!
First now, comes paint on the walls.
Paint on the floor.
Possibly an electrician to add outlets.
Then the ceiling.
I want to cover the ceiling but still be able to access everything mechanical.
While a drop ceiling would be lovely it's too many dollars!

On other fronts,
I've finished the quilting on Sparkling Nines-only binding to go!
I've done a bit of yard work,
and nearly have the garage clean!

Suffering through 95F (35C) with heat indices of 105 F (40C).
Breathing water it's so humid.
I really can not wait for fall.